Medication management throughout the health system is complex and challenging. Medications requiring storage at specific temperatures bring an added level of complexity. Proper processes, tools, equipment and planning can help reduce risk and improve storage safety and security.We worked with Dr. Jessalynn (White) Henney, PharmD, who currently serves as the Medication Safety Director at Community Health Network (CHNw) to uncover how health systems can improve the safety and efficiency of their refrigerated medication storage.
This article covers the following topics on safely storing refrigerated drugs throughout the healthcare system:
- Factors Influencing Dispensing Errors
- Automated Dispensing Cabinets
- LASA and Lookalike Medications
- Reducing Risk of Errors
- Refrigerated Medication Storage
- Improving Refrigerated Storage
Dr. Henney brings her experience from working with multidisciplinary teams on the strategic oversight of medication safety, for both acute care and ambulatory care services, focusing on all steps of the medication use process.
OTHER BLOGS YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN...
- Reducing Refrigerated Medication Errors with New Technology
- Drug Storage Automation— Finding Solutions for your Refrigerated Products
- Helmer Scientific is Addressing the Latest Cold Storage Challenges in the Hospital Pharmacy Market
- ISMP’s 2018-2019 Targeted Medication Safety Best Practices for Hospitals
Refrigerated medications heighten challenges related to safe and secure drug storage throughout the health system. Pharmacists play an important role in reducing risk of medication errors. The right processes and planning ensure the right medication is delivered to the right patient at the right time. In addition, new storage technology can help alleviate the burden of storing medications at refrigerated temperatures throughout the hospital.
Download the full refrigerated medication safety article at the link below.