Throughout 2020 clinical laboratories have worked diligently to scale up testing for COVID-19. Each test comes with the manufacturer’s Instructions for Use (IFU) which provide storage requirements for the samples and reagents. These materials must be stored within the correct temperature range to ensure accurate test results.
Some COVID-19 tests identify storage requirements unique to that test, while others refer to CDC guidance. The CDC recommends storing specimens at 2-8°C for up to 72 hours after collection. If a delay in testing or shipping is expected, specimens should be stored at -70°C or below.
Clinical labs have faced many challenges while implementing COVID-19 testing. Reliable cold storage doesn’t have to be one of them. Helmer Scientific offers a full range of laboratory refrigerators, freezers, and ultra-low temperature freezers designed to help you meet manufacturer’s storage requirements and CDC guidance.
GX Solutions Professional, Medical-grade Laboratory Refrigerators
GX Solutions are professional, medical-grade laboratory refrigerators that take cold storage to new levels. Focusing on temperature, noise and energy management, GX Solutions optimize all three critical aspects of a superior lab refrigerator.
GX Solutions are powered by OptiCool™ technology. OptiCool™ pairs variable capacity compressors (VCC) and natural hydrocarbon (HC) refrigerants to achieve performance characteristics that offer a superior storage environment:
- Optimized temperature management - uniformity, recovery and stability
- Lower noise levels - 3X quieter than conventional medical-grade refrigerators
- Reduced energy usage - 50-65% more efficient than conventional medical-grade refrigerators
- Supports facility environmental sustainability initiatives
Other Blogs You Might Be Interested In...
- How to Select Laboratory Refrigerators for COVID-19 Testing
- What Are Best Practices for Selecting Laboratory Freezers?
- How to Store Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Specimens
- Video Highlights the Benefits of Saving Energy and Reducing Cost with GX Solutions
- Reducing Noise in the Clinical Laboratory with GX Solutions
Helmer Scientific supports clinical laboratories, the patients they serve, and their efforts to ensure accurate test results. We would like to express our gratitude to all staff involved in the diagnostic testing that is critical for treating patients and saving lives. We are here to help you properly store your critical materials during the COVID-19 pandemic.
For a complete list of Helmer medical-grade cold storage products designed to safeguard your samples and reagents, download our Cold Storage for COVID-19 Testing Fact Sheet at the link below.